This is the time of year we all look forward to, and perhaps dread. Figuring out gifts ideas for friends and family that are meaningful and useful can be tough. This year, consider giving gifts that will help them become more prepared - temporally and spiritually.
Temporal Preparedness Ideas:
Stocking Stuffers and Small Gifts:
- Waterproof matches, Fire Starter
- Water Filter (Lifestraw or Berkey Bottle)
- Leatherman or Swiss Army Knife
- Wool Socks, Warm Gloves and Hat, Underwear
- Warm Clothing (thrift store)
- Hand Crank Radio
- Cooking Stove (Coleman, Camp Chef, Butane, Rocket)
- Dutch Oven
- Food Storage Starter Kit (from the Home Storage Center)
- Zero degree sleeping bag
- First Aid Kit
- Hand tools
Theme Gifts (adapted from LDS Magazine, 2010):
Light: “You light up my life” or quote John 12:35: “Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.” Include glow sticks, flashlights, maybe a flashlight and radio combo, candles in glass jars for power outages, or solar lights that can be charged during the day and brought in at night during a power outage.
Eat, drink, and be merry: Give MRE meals, water, energy bars, and a travel game.
Food storage starter kit: A case or cans of food from each of the food groups or a starter kit from the storehouse.
The weather outside is frightful: Space blankets, rain poncho, hand-warmers, glow sticks, flashlight, battery-powered radio, hot cocoa and hot cider mix.
Garden Kit: Purchase a garden bucket, add some packets of seeds, a trowel, a planting guide and a gift certificate good for your help in next Spring’s garden.
Cookies and dinners in a jar: Layer cookie ingredients or the ingredients for soup in a quart canning jar. Attach the direction for preparing the foods. Pack 6 jars of cookie mixes and 6 jars of a variety of soup mixes in a canning jar box. Check out the books: Dinner is in the Jar
Dinner basket: Purchase a large laundry basket and fill it with a copy of your favorite, or their favorite recipe. Purchase all the ingredients to make that recipe 5 times. Taco soup would be a great example since most of the ingredients are canned. Check out the book 100 Day Pantry.
Private cache: Purchase a case of a favorite food. This is also great for young children. It helps them realize just how much is really needed for a year’s supply and teaches them your commitment to having a year’s supply of food. Brownies or Mac & Cheese are perfect here.
Auto survival: In addition to coats and blankets carried separately during winter, kits should include glow sticks for light, water packets, food bars, mylar blanket, flashlight, poncho (preferably yellow for better visibility when walking), first aid kit, whistle, and towelettes.
Spiritual Preparedness Gift tied to Temporal Preparedness (from thatgoodart.wordpress.com)
Just as we can prepare for trials physically, we need to prepare spiritually.
Pack a small 72 hour kit. Include:
First Aid Kit
Each item in the 72 hour kit represents something we need in our spiritual 72 hour kits. Here are the basics.
- Water/Food – Jesus Christ
- “Jesus answered and said unto her, if thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water. … But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.” – John 4:10, 14
- “And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.” – John 6:35
- Flashlight – The Light of Christ
- “12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.” – John 8:12
- Radio – The Gift of the Holy Ghost
- “3 And it came to pass that while they were thus conversing one with
another, they heard a voice as if it came out of heaven; and they cast
their eyes round about, for they understood not the voice which they
heard; and it was not a harsh voice, neither was it a loud voice;
nevertheless, and notwithstanding it being a small voice it did pierce
them that did hear to the center, insomuch that there was no part of
their frame that it did not cause to quake; yea, it did pierce them to
the very soul, and did cause their hearts to burn.
4 And it came to pass that again they heard the voice, and they understood it not.
5 And again the third time they did hear the voice, and did open their ears to hear it; and their eyes were towards the sound thereof; and they did look steadfastly towards heaven, from whence the sound came.”- 3 Nephi 11:3-5
- “3 And it came to pass that while they were thus conversing one with another, they heard a voice as if it came out of heaven; and they cast their eyes round about, for they understood not the voice which they heard; and it was not a harsh voice, neither was it a loud voice; nevertheless, and notwithstanding it being a small voice it did pierce them that did hear to the center, insomuch that there was no part of their frame that it did not cause to quake; yea, it did pierce them to the very soul, and did cause their hearts to burn. 4 And it came to pass that again they heard the voice, and they understood it not.
- Map – The Scriptures
- “3 Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.” – 2 Nephi 32:3“
- First Aid Kit – Faith
- “22 But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.” – Matthew 9:22
- Wipes (sanitary/antibacterial wipes) – Repentance
- “86 Abide ye in the liberty wherewith ye are made free; entangle not yourselves in sin, but let your hands be clean, until the Lord comes.” – Doctrine and Covenants 88:86
- Swiss-Army Knife or multi-purpose tool – Spiritual Gifts
- “8 Wherefore, beware lest ye are deceived; and that ye may not be deceived seek ye earnestly the best gifts, always remembering for what they are given; 9 For verily I say unto you, they are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep all my commandments, and him that seeketh so to do; that all may be benefited that seek or that ask of me, that ask and not for a sign that they may consume it upon their lusts.” – Doctrine and Covenants 46:8-9
- Cash – Knowledge
- ” 19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.” – Doctrine and Covenants 130:19
- Clothes – Priesthood
- “17 Which priesthood continueth in the church of God in all generations, and is without beginning of days or end of years.
18 And the Lord confirmed a priesthood also upon Aaron and his seed,
throughout all their generations, which priesthood also continueth and
abideth forever with the priesthood which is after the holiest order of
19 And this greater priesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the key of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God.
20 Therefore, in the ordinances thereof, the power of godliness is manifest.
21 And without the ordinances thereof, and the authority of the priesthood, the power of godliness is not manifest unto men in the flesh;
22 For without this no man can see the face of God, even the Father, and live.” – Doctrine and Covenants 84:17-22